5.07.2010

Fill In the Blank Friday #1

Maybe this will help me post more often... I check my dashboard way to much to excuse myself from posting here. oh, and the original post here & carrie's post here

1. My favorite book growing up was the 'dark green dots'. There was this reading program thing at my elementary school, and colors stood for your reading level. Dark green (like Beverly Cleary's books) was just above average , but I read so much that my teacher kept moving me up. I eventually got to the blues in 3rd or 4th grade, by the time the program faded out, so I got to read HP and other harder books, but I still thought the best books were the dark green ones. (ps - there is a movie soon out about this book. it doesn't seem anything like the book i read!)



2. The funniest book I've ever read was... oh, when have I ever really laughed at a book? Besides HP, because I'm trying to be creative here. Hmm, just had a glance at my book shelf, and I think it's the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series, that I just finished back in February. The film that Nickelodeon made is nothing nothing nothing like the books. The majority of the plot in the film never even happens in the books. Ever. But it is probably the most light-hearted book I've read in a while. You have to have been a 14 year old girl to understand and laugh at it.



3. The one book that has truly changed my life is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. My sister gave this book to me for my eleventh (?) birthday. I didn't get why she thought it was so great, and I didn't like it at first. I had only heard whispers of it, because I wasn't a reader then like I am now. I wasn't even a fan at first. I thought the names were weird, and that only stupid nerd boys liked wizard books. I can't even express how much this series has changed my life. Now, I pretty much life my life thinking What Would Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore Do? (begin shameless promotion of awesomeness) Visit the HP Alliance to fight the Dark Arts in the real world.


4. If you're looking for a real "tear jerker" you should probably read How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. It's full of teen agnst, commentary on war and the current word, and of course, the struggle to find the simplicity of happiness and love. Okay okay, so, more teen angst. But, BUT, I've read this book more than twice, and every. single. time. I cry like a baby by the end. It is a somewhat typical young adult novel, but it focuses on the adult, not the young. It is pieced together wonderfully. The main character's world isn't really defined in detail, so you can't really figure out exactly what the war is about that is going on around the MC, or why it even started in the first place, or why people can't just stop the fighting. If you read the book, hopefully that will drive you crazy too, until you realize that that's the true to life gosh darn reality, and then, you will just be sad. On top of the actual story, too. Which is beautiful and somewhat tragic. Just read this book, okay?


5. If I could meet any author living or dead I would want to meet ... hmm. I am going to be a little less deep on this one and choose Thomas Jefferson. After all he is the author of the Declaration... I'd ask a few questions. Why all the funky capitalization? Also, what does he think about how far this country has come? And other nerdy journalist questions. I'd be writing a feature on that one.


6. The next book on my "to read" list is: eve·ry·thing (ěv'rē-thĭng') pron.
1. All things or all of a group of things; All relevant matters: told each other everything.
2. The most important fact or consideration: In business, timing is everything.
photos from carmel kozlov & patgrider @ flickr, respectively




7. If I was snowed into remote cabin in the woods and could only choose three books to bring with me I'd bring two books I love and one book I haven't read. One - Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, only because I've read PoA the most, and DH only 4 times. (nerd alert!) Two - Possibly The Great Gatsby because I've just read it. Or maybe The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Or maybe Wuthering Heights with a pen and pencil, so I can finally figure out where everything is happening. I always loose track. Three - The Bible, both parts. I've never read it, and I wish to read it without anyone else really knowing unless I say something, because I don't want anyone thinking I'm reading it because I want to be Christian - because I am not reading it for that purpose. I want to read it to satisfy my own personal curiosity, and to read a (supposedly) wonderful piece of literature.



that's it for this friday! see you next week!

~ polexia :D